Sunday, February 8, 2009

Cooking Tour of the United States

Finally, I have begun to satisfy one of my retirement goals; I wanted to take cooking classes. I'm into my second week of classes at a local high school's home ec. classroom. Each week we "tour" a different part of the country.
The first week was "The South" and my kitchen group made biscuits and a bourbon glazed pecan pound cake. I wanted to take pictures of it but the class ate it so fast I couldn't get my camera out.
The second week is "Napa Valley/Bay Area". I made poached pears in a red wine sauce.
I decided to avoid the mad house chaos of the class and try it at home first. It takes an hour and a half to poach the pears so the 2 hour class is a real rush job. I invited Dori and another friend, Vicki over to try them out.
I tried to work on presentation and think it came out pretty good for the first time.
Next week we'll be in Cajun country, New Orleans and Marti Gras. I'll let you know in two weeks what else is going on. I think I'll make an entre and have some friend over or maybe invite them to cook with me. If it's nice we'll eat out on the patio. This really makes me happy!

2 comments:

Heather-Anne said...

This sounds really fun! I wish I could try the pound cake, sounds delish!!!

Anonymous said...

The plate and table looked good......send me the receipe.

Sue

Sue